Like us on Facebook

Sunday 21 March 2010

NYJO - worth saving

The future of NYJO is uncertain in today's financial climate. The main trouble it faces are expressed in the following Times article
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article6988522.ece
which hosts some interesting discussion from NYJO members both past and present, and representatives from the jazz-loving public. Feel free to add your own views!
NYJO for me has been the foundation upon which I have been able to build my jazz singing career.
Through NYJO I have learnt how to front a band (in terms of singing, speaking between numbers and even what to wear - to my first NYJO gig, I turned up without any make-up to the horror of then-principal singer Annabel Williams, who dusted and drew on me until I looked stage-presentable. The following rehearsal, Bill Ashton gave her 20 quid to take me to the market and buy me the necessary war paint. Now I'm a fully-fledged fake-eyelash-sticking, eye-liner-painting, red-lippy-sporting, wig-wearing band-fronter).
I have learnt a host of songs - over 350 at the last count - which have given me endless enjoyment on countless gigs, and the ability to turn up to many a gig and be able to sing whatever the band leader called.
But the main two things that I can thank NYJO for are these: I have met 90% of musicians in London through its very impressive alumni list, and I have learnt how to be a better jazz singer by watching and being inspired by a host of talented NYJO singers.
Earlier this year, the "Sponsor A chair" appeal was launched, in order to secure the necessary funds for the organisation to keep running. Guy Barker was there and made a short speech, attributing much of his success as a professional trumpeter to NYJO and its excellent foundation.
I expect many a past and present member would whole-heartedly agree.
If you feel that you would be able to contribute to the Sponsor A Chair appeal, then please contact Nigel Tully by email: info@nyjo.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment