Like us on Facebook

Wednesday 4 August 2010

July round-up

July started with a sleepy train ride home from Sheffield after our last gig of the Jazz Services tour (read all about my exploits over the last 3 days of the tour on my previous blog by clicking here.)


Then back to the reality of teaching... 
No time to go home - I rushed straight to a school for a recorder concert, squeaks aplenty.  Eventually at 18:30 I finished my day's work and could sit down on my sofa - which I'd been wanting to do for 2 months! - and do nothing - again, something I'd been waiting to do for a long time.


July 4th saw the start of a beautiful relationship.  I appeared as a guest singer with the Hot Orange big band and we had such a great gig that they asked me back to appear with them whenever I can - a terrific pleasure.  I have some big band arrangements in the pipeline, so I'm hoping to try them out with this band.  
(On the same note, I'm working again with Mark Armstrong's big band on September 25th in High Wycombe - well worth a trip - and I'll be showcasing my very own big band at Ruislip Manor in December.)  The next Hot Orange gig is in Whitechapel on Sunday 22nd August.


So you must have noticed this article by now:? (I know the caption says 'and trio' but you just have to imagine the other two musicians!)


On July 10th, my quartet appeared at Marlborough Jazz Festival.  We had a short set just after lunch, which was part of UK Jazz Radio's "Women in Jazz" feature.  The other women were Verona Chard and Linley Weir (they played their sets after mine.)


Hopefully we'll be back next year.


I couldn't get a lift to Marlborough because my entire band had to set off to different places afterwards, so I decided to take the train.  The nearest station is Swindon - a mere 13 miles, so I merrily set off with my bike in tow, imagining an enjoyable 1 hour cycle ride at the other end.  Unfortunately, google maps hadn't chosen the best route for me, so - despite the road being pretty much a straight line from Swindon to Marlborough - I had an epic hill which made my bike feel twice as heavy as normal, then the downhill appeared to be a dirt track for approximately 4 miles.  Now, 4 miles usually takes me about 20 minutes - and that's with London traffic lights.  After 35 minutes I was still bumping and jumping along this track which could only have been made by a tractor in wetter conditions, then baked over the last few good-weather weeks.  Argh!  It was already soundcheck time and I was in the middle of nowhere with a great big yellow trail stretching into the distance in front of me.  No choice but to keep going.  Eventually I found a diversion through some woodland and somehow made it onto the road - and miraculously I was on the outskirts of Marlborough.  Brake pads in questionable condition.


So after the gig, I continued my journey to Andover, where I was staying the night with friends.  Only another 22 miles!  So basically, I had cycled 35 miles in one day and done a gig in the middle.  That breaths new life into the song Workin Hard!


As well as all this, I spent a lovely day in my home town of Hitchin at the Rhythms of the World festival, and had a very enjoyable gig at the Archduke.  Jazz at the Archduke is well-worth supporting.  It's the best quality jazz you'll get for free anywhere in London, and I'd go as far as to say the entire country.  A stylish setting, excellent food, and free music with some of London's best musicians.  I'm next appearing there with my duo for the early set on a Saturday evening - check my website listings for exact dates.

No comments:

Post a Comment