Like us on Facebook

Friday 7 January 2011

Farewell 2010



January 2010 at Pizza on the Park
Tom Farmer and Me

2010 started with two gigs at my beloved Pizza on the Park.  The first was greatly disrupted by snow (well, not the actual gig, but the audience turn-out) and the second was sold-out.  Most of the songs from the February gig are on my YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/sarahellenhughes. - just look for the video stills with me in this white dress (below right)
Feb 2010 at Pizza on the Park
Matt Ridley, Darren Altman and me




In March 2010, my first album Darning the Dream was released.  Sales are going well, and I expect to have sold out by mid-2011.  I won't be doing another run, so buy your copy before they disappear from the shops!
Get it from my website: www.sarahellenhughes.co.uk, or from Amazon, HMV, iTunes, or any local record store.

Darning the Dream album conver

Clutching my certificate
Singing "I can't get started"
April 2010 was a really special month, as it's when I won the International Jazz Singing Competition "Jazz Voices," held in Lithuania.  Left is a picture of me in the semi-finals, and right is a picture of me on results night.  I cried a lot!

Jersey from the departing plane
Jumping (!) outside Bishop
Auckland Town Hall
Seven Jazz Club in Leeds
Rick Simpson on piano, Gavin Barras
on bass, Darren Altman on drums
Photo by Tom Swire













In May and June, my band and I embarked on a national tour to promote the album Darning the Dream.  The beginning of May involved two separate trips up and down the country - one to Leeds; one to Hull.  We flew to Jersey; we drove to Berwick-upon-Tweed.  It was a great experience and I'd like to thank my band for being fun, reliable, and above all brilliant musicians!  Bring on the next tour!

Marlborough Jazz
Festival review
In July, we performed at the Marlborough Jazz Festival.  Right is a snippet of a review in the local paper.  Read the whole review here: www.sarahellenhughes.co.uk/reviews

Imperial Wharf Jazz Festival
To carry on our summer trend of jazz festivals, we also performed at the Imperial Wharf Jazz Festival in London, one of my favourite jazz festivals.  The stage, sound, sun and audience were excellent.


More travelling in October and November.  On the left I'm singing with the Jersey Big Band (with a lost voice), and on the right I'm posing in front of a tea and coffee house in Northern Ireland after a lovely Sunday lunchtime gig.


And finally, back home!  In December there was no travelling involved, although snow cancelled or postponed 3 of my 9 gigs.  It nearly played havoc with the Sarah Ellen Hughes big band debut at Ruislip Manor, but the gig went ahead very successfully regardless.

Here's to a successful 2011!

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic year you've had. Hears to an amazing 2011. x

    ReplyDelete