Like us on Facebook

Monday 5 April 2010

News - February and March

Jazz Singing Competition
On Wednesday, I leave for Lithuania. I will be being judged on my jazz singing ability in the International Jazz Voices 2010 Competition, and hoping that it won't be too cold! The semi-final is on Thursday, with the final being on Friday, and the victory gig on Saturday. On Sunday I'll return to England.
The semi-final program dictates that I sing two songs - one from the compulsory list (Girl from Ipanema - which I've chosen to sing in Portuguese) and one of my own choice (I only have eyes for you). The final gives the choice of two from the compulsory list (Honeysuckle Rose/Georgia on my mind) and one of my own choosing (I can't get started).
Later this year, I hope to be involved in two more International jazz singing competitions - one at the Montreaux Jazz Festival, and another in Poland (Voicingers).
UK Jazz Radio
UK Jazz Radio has selected my debut album as their CD of the month for two months running. Listen to this Internet-based radio station by clicking here.
Pizza on the Park
I have just heard the sad news that Pizza on the Park will definitely be closing in June this year. A terrible loss of an iconic London venue, the effect to live jazz and to musicians in this country will be far greater than one can conceive at this time. This kind of venue is much-needed in a city where jazz venues are dwindling in number. Having sung there on 12 occasions over a period of 2 years, I am very saddened by this news, as I am fond of the place where I met and performed with many a superb jazz musician. A great loss from the memory of jazz legends to the future stars of live music performance.
Monthly Newsletter
From this month, my newsletter will be arriving monthly. If you don't wish to receive monthly updates then please let me know via email.

No comments:

Post a Comment