Like us on Facebook

Monday 5 April 2010

Pauline Jean review

Zena James and I reviewed US singer Pauline Jean earlier this month. It sparked some interesting debate about the nature of reviewing!
One particular comment found that the critical nature of the article (surely the point of being a 'critic' is to be critical??!) to be too negative. I was frustrated with the anonymous comment 'musicians criticizing one another... not fair!' If I'm not a musician, how can I have any grounds to comment at all on what I'm viewing? I have to know the trade to be able to comment upon it. For example, if I were to critique a restaurant, or art showing, I wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about and my review would be pointless.
An interesting read before viewing Zena's and my review: Peter Slavid on rave reviews
And here's the hotly debated article itself: Pauline Jean Review

No comments:

Post a Comment