Like us on Facebook

Saturday 16 October 2010

Cardiff Cafe Jazz, and the Hazards of being a Singer



Temperatures soaring, high fever... doesn’t sound much like Cardiff does it?!  No, it’s my body responding to the first three weeks back at school and a gruelling singing/teaching schedule.

I’m in Cardiff for a gig at Cafe Jazz.  I have visited Cardiff once before on jazz business - to sing at Dempsey’s during my UK album tour in May.  And, yes, as my name would suggest I have relatives in South Wales.  My grandparents were from Llanelli and Blaengwynfi.

I am joined on stage by a trio booked by Jazz Productions Wales man Ian Poole - who had in fact booked himself on drums, but had to pull out at the last minute owing to a back injury.  Greg Evans ably stepped into his shoes; Ashley Long demonstrated the fastest fingers I have ever seen (how anyone manages to play sustained triplet quaver passages on a double bass to my rip-roaring tempo of That’s All is beyond me); Dave Cottle in for flu-ridden Dave Jones on piano.  

Unfortunately, I’ve spent the day not feeling well.  I had even taken the afternoon off work which is so unlike me - definitely poorly then!  I arrived in Cardiff feeling a little shivery, but nothing a white wine and excellent chicken dish couldn’t ease.  

The first set went well: it’s a pleasure to play ‘busking’ standards with such competent musicians who bring something new to each tune.

However, by the second tune of the second set things weren’t going so well.  I felt it necessary to announce to the crowd that I was losing my voice.  

At the end of the show, someone came up to me at the bar and offered me a drink.  “No thanks,” I croaked.  “Oh, you’ve really lost your voice!” he said.  “Singer always moan: oh, I’ve got a sore throat...etc.”  

I know the sort: ‘I’ve got a cold... I usually sound better than this... etc. etc. moan, moan, moan.  I’ve made a conscious decision not to moan to anybody when I’m feeling under the weather, as it just invites the response “Oh, you sound fine” when they’re really thinking, “Stop fishing for compliments.”  
It’s frustrating though, as if you’re feeling under the weather even slightly, this can totally affect the way your body - ie. your instrument - works.  When I sing it’s a thrilling experience.  When the adrenaline works in the right way, it makes me feel GREAT!  However, even the slightest niggle can throw all that off balance and make me feel frustratingly crap.  

So when a singer says to you “Oh, that was terrible - I’ve got a cold,” they’re not fishing for compliments - they probably didn’t enjoy it at all.  Take pity on them!

1 comment:

  1. sore throat is not a lot of fun its just uncomfortable and difficult to swallow.

    usually, i would take the Nim Jiom Cough Syrup (www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm ) which has a thick consistency formulation. it coats the throat and includes herbs that are particularly good for that application.

    i hope it works on you as well.

    ReplyDelete