Like us on Facebook

Saturday 16 October 2010

Sector 7


Emma Smith


To start October in style, my new band - Sector 7 - had its first
rehearsal.  As you may guess, Sector 7 is a seven-piece band,
and it features jazz trio with 4 singers.  I’m very excited about
where it may go.





The inspiration to set up this band came from watching a gig 
with Pete Churchill’s London Vocal Project.  For part of the 
set, the choir sang behind the Jessica Berry quartet, and I was so
overwhelmed by the sound of so many voices and the power that
Shakka Phillip
it added to the music that I thought it would be great to start a
similar project.  Setting up a choir, however, is a massive
logistical stress, and Pete's group already does it brilliantly.  
So the idea to create a jazz band with backing singers was born.






I’m joined behind the mic(s) by Emma Smith - London Jazz 
Sarah Ellen Hughes
Vocal Award nominee 2010, Kwabena Adjepong and 
Shakka Phillip.  This band was conceived as being my jazz 
quartet with backing singers, but I soon realised that I was 
working with 3 singers better than me!  They are terrifically 
talented, and the two boys have roots in soul music, so the 
group - while predominantly being a jazz group - is exploring 
repertoire from artists like Stevie Wonder and Erykah Badu 
to showcase the diversity in voices that we have as a foursome. 






We will be recording an EP later in the year, and touring the 
group in 2011.  Watch this space!
Kwabena Adjepong

No comments:

Post a Comment